20 May 2010

Lactivism

I was recently having a conversation with a friend about breastfeeding and how to be a champion without alienating people by making them feel bad for their choices. It's a fine line. As a lactivist I want to tell people about the risks of formula feeding and I want to provide support for women who want to breastfeed, but I know that I have at times caused offence when discussing this topic.

I think that some women may be quite defensive about their decision to formula feed, despite vocalising their pride at this choice perhaps a part of them doesn't feel good about it and so they feel the need to justify it and defend it when they feel their choice is being criticised.

There are things I would like to say on the subject but don't feel that I can for fear of being judged to be judgemental - haha.

I am trying to change my approach into a positive one. There are people you will never reach, so it is best not to come at lactivism from that perspective, rather to simply be approachable to those seeking information and support. So I am undertaking leadership training with La Leche League so that I can be a peer supporter. I'm also going to plug other Lactivists blogs, websites and online stores ;)

First on the list is Lactivist itself. The website is a fantastic hub of information and support, not to mention their fantastic breastfeeding t-shirts! They are currently running a competition to win £40 of Butterfly Babies vouchers. See here for more.

3 comments:

vanessa said...

hi! this is yoginimama from the bundlejungle. i just wanted to tell you that i've read many an article about this very subject and this blogpost is definitely one of the best worded! i think about this A LOT because a lot of women have no idea about all the things i want to tell them. but i often don't, because i don't want them to feel attacked or feel defensive for whatever has happened.
good post!!!

Holly said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Holly said...

Thanks Vanessa :)